Monday 21 February 2011

Greeting guests

In preparation for the guests we will receive, we have been looking at some useful expressions we might need.

To revise and maybe see some new expressions, read this.

Greeting a Guest

If you are the host and your guest has arrived at your house, what can you say to welcome them? Here are some common expressions:

Welcoming a Guest

· I'm so glad to have you here.

· I'm so glad you could come.

· I'm so glad you could visit.

· We're delighted to have you here.

· Delighted to have you here.

Expressions which can be used to make our guests feel at home and comfortable.

Asking a Guest to Come Inside the House

· Come on in.

· Please come in.

· Please do come in. (formal)

Making a Visitor Feel at Home

· Make yourself at home.

· Make yourself comfortable.

· Would you like to take off your coat?

· Here, let me take your coat.

Offering a Visitor a Seat

· Please have a seat.

· Please sit down.

· Would you like to sit over here?

Offering a Visitor Something to Drink

· Would you like some coffee or tea?

· Let me get you something to drink. What would you like?

· Can I get you something to drink?

Saying Goodbye

· It's been a delightful visit. (formal)

· Thank you for coming.

· Glad you could come.

· Come back soon.

· We have to do this again sometime.

· We have to do this more often.

· It's been our pleasure to have you here. (formal)

How do you introduce your friend to someone else? Below are some useful expressions.

· Introducing Paul to Fred

· Fred, I'd like you to meet Paul.

· Fred, this is my friend Paul.

· Fred, (this is) Ichiro. Paul, Fred.

· Fred, have you met Paul?

What to Say When You've Just Been Introduced

· Good to meet you.

· Nice to meet you.

· What a pleasure to meet you. (formal)

· A pleasure. (formal)

What to Say When You Didn't Catch Someone's Name

· I'm sorry. What's your name again?

· Sorry, I didn't catch your name.

· I'm sorry, could you tell me your name again?

15 comments:

Cat said...

I hope you all have a wonderful time with your guests from Turkey. Be practicing these expressions, as you can expect a visit from an old friend in the coming months!

I miss you all very much!

belen rodriguez said...

I think these expressions are essential to communicate with your guest.
They are also very useful, and this new vocabulary helps us learn a little more to everyone.
I hope you have a wonderful experience with your guests,friends.
Belén:)

josema said...

I think these expressions can help us very much, when we have to communicate with other people. I have alredy used some of them to speak with Ayberk, who is my guest from Turkey in the Comenius project. He is so nice, and thanks to these expressions I could meet him better. I HAVE VERY GOOD LUCK! :)

Cat, we also miss you so much! You'll always be part of our lifes! We'll never forget you! :D

And, my friends, I hope you spend very good moments with your guests and, why not, you find in them a wonderful friend who will love during your whole lifes. :)

Josema^^

Miguel said...

This expressions are very useful for us because for example the people who
welcome to other person, are going to need a lot but which won't go, also need it.
I think also, that this new vocabulary is used everyday.
Cat I miss you a lot I hope you that we see you again.

Miguel :)

Carmen Torres said...

I think these expressions will be very useful for us when the guests from the Comenius project come (not so much to wait :P).
I also hope to have your visit soon, Cat :D
To all of you, enjoy the visit of these guests. It will be a fantastic experience.

Mª Jesús said...

I think that these expressions are very useful and makes you better interact with your guest.

We have also learned more vocabulary and speak more English that way.

Mª Jesús! ( :

Ana said...

I think that this expressions are very important to communicate with others persons in English when you travel at another country.
And also is very important for we learn more grammar and English.
By: Ana.

Cristóbal said...

I think that this expressions can help you when you are in a different country and is essential to speak with them.

Also you can learn a lot of vocabulary with this expressions and make friends.

This expressions are good for all people that want to learn a bit more and to comunicate to other people. ^^

J.C.Coco said...

I am not taking part in the Comenius proyect but I think that these expressions are so useful to speak with other people that speak English.
J.C.Coco

fátima said...

I think that this project is very useful to learn english in a funny way.
These expressions are very good for the daily life.
I hope you have fantastic moments with you guest :)

fátima said...

I think that this project is very useful to learn english in a funny way.
These expressions are very good for the daily life.
I hope you have fantastic moments with you guest :)

Victoria García said...

This is a group of expressions that we can use for our daily life. They can help us in situations with the people whose don't speak Spanish and are learning or simply know English.

I also miss you a lot Cat!

Maria said...

I think that all of these expressions can be very useful when we communicate with other people.We also learn more vocabulary.
I think this experience has been very nice.

By: Maria Suarez Lopez :)

Eva Suárez said...

I think these expressions are very important to communicate with other people. These expressions help us learn a lot of vocabulary.

I think "Windows and Mirrows" project has been fun, people have learned a lot and they have met new friends they will never forget.

Eva Suárez López¡(:

Claudia Ruiz said...

I think that we understood the other people very well. It was a wonderful week, I have a lot of fun and I like to repeat! this expressions are very useful and them had help us a lot! Thank you very much!